School Meals at Tolworth Junior School
We have a fabulous kitchen and dining hall where meals are cooked by Harrison Catering Limited.
Why choose school meals for your child?
- School meals offer a selection of freshly cooked main meals and desserts every day, often including pasta, salad, fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- All meals are nutritionally balanced over the course of one week and are served by friendly and cheerful catering staff. Children can sit down together and enjoy their meal whilst at the same time developing social skills of eating together that are so important in later life.
- A well fed and happy child is more likely to be receptive to participating in the afternoon's activities.
- Convenience - someone else preparing and cooking lunch for your child saves you time preparing a packed lunch every day.
Under the Mayor of London's Universal Free School Meal programme, all primary school children who attend state schools in London will receive free school meals for the full academic year, starting this September.
If your child has any allergies or special dietary requirements, please speak to a member of the school office.
Children will be asked each morning whether they would like a school meal or are opting for a packed lunch, giving additional flexibility to families.
Free School Meals
Although meals will be free for the current academic year, the school will receive additional funding for every child who is REGISTERED for a Free School Meal. This is additional investment in your child’s education. Therefore if you meet the criteria listed below please apply.
Free school meals are offered to children of families who are in receipt of:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
How do I apply for free school meals?
- Click here to complete the on-line application form on the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames' website.
- Contact the Information and Advice Centre on 020 8547 5004 or email
- By visiting the school in complete confidence with your National Insurance number and Date of Birth where the application can be made on your behalf.
Please consider applying for free school meals if you are eligible as your application could attract additional funding for the school.
For pupils who prefer a packed lunch, these should be in a container marked with your child’s name. Drinks must be in an unbreakable container – no glass bottles, thermos flasks or pressurised tins are allowed. Tolworth School is a health promoting school and packed lunches should not contain fizzy drinks, chocolate or sweets. We are also a nut free school and therefore, you must not include nuts or food containing nuts in your child’s packed lunch.